Wednesday, April 20

here lies the story of the rooftop narc








I love the roof of our apartment. Its where I go to unwind and be by myself. Its where I go when I need to cry. Its where I go to enjoy root beer floats with my roommates on those rare sunny days in the Sunset. Its where I go for good views. Its where I had my first kiss. 

A few Mondays ago, after a long, frustrating day at school, nothing sounded better than a bottle of cold pear cider on top of the roof. I got home, rallied the roomies, grabbed some cider for me and some beer for them at the liquor store, and we took our guitars up.

After about an hour of jamming, singing, drinking, and giggling, I came up with the bright idea of walking across our next door neighbors roof for a photo op and one of my roommates followed to see if the view was any different from ours. Although I stepped lightly, the next door neighbor on the third floor, apparently, was not fond of this idea. 

He popped up out of some skylight like a gopher on a mission and demanded that we leave the roof, OUR roof, immediately. To which we politely and genuinely responded with "we're so sorry! Were we bothering you?" This man, this rooftop narc, goes on and on about how he's heard us walking on his roof before and had called our landlord to complain, about how we should only be on the roof if there was an emergency, like a fire. 

A FIRE?! Let me tell you, the roof is the last place I would want to be if there was a fire. 

He then proceeds to demand we get off immediately and says he is going to watch us until we are all off. 

So I took my time. 
Because who deemed him hall monitor?

Let me wrap up:
Landlord comes over an hour later, tells us the narc called, and that the next time he catches us up there he has permission to phone the police. THE POLICE? For being on our own roof? 

Yep. 
Some people are just charming little fun-suckers that like to suck all of the fun out of life. They are most often found preying on those who are too busy enjoying life to be doing things like ruining other people's afternoons. 



2 comments:

  1. This made Drew and I laugh...thanks for a good story. Your neighbor is truly a "wack-a-doo!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man what an ass.

    though the mental image of this angry man popping his head up like a gopher made me laugh.

    seriously, your rooftop jam photos look like so much fun... i was going to ask if i could please come over with my cheap guitar and jam with you guys.

    roof nazi.

    ReplyDelete