Sunday, April 24

happy Easter!


my brother and I. Easter. Some year a long time ago.

To me, Easter is a pretty new dress, a soulful Sunday service, and family around the table, catching up on new happenings and laughing about old memories. 

Although this won't be the first Easter I've ever worked, this is the first Easter that I won't be seeing my family. 

Not too thrilled about that one. 

After Jesus, family is my favorite part of Easter. Some of my favorite childhood memories come from Easter Sunday at my Auntie Margaret and Uncle Ed's house in the foothills. I always had a pretty new dress, the women always cooked roast beef, mashed potatoes, green beans, and there were always always a few bowls teeming with olives on the table. I would fiddle with Uncle Ed's clock safe and then Auntie Margaret's huge seashell while the adults hid the eggs. And the eggs. The eggs! Hard boiled and hand dyed. I wish all eggs popped out of chickens so colorfully. After I found all the eggs Grandma would hand me my Cool Whip tub full of Tootsie Rolls, Skittles and Jellybeans. And then the men would take all the kids for a long walk while the women gossiped and cleaned up after lunch. The walk was my favorite. It always will be. 

I think I'll be going for a walk today. And although I'll be by myself, I know I can think back on all those walks from Easters past and realize that, even though I'm not with them today, they will always be with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment