Wednesday, February 17

Twenty three things about me as I begin my twenty third year

23. Scotch tape has a smell, and I love it. In fact, when I was a little girl, my family called me the Tape Queen, because of my love for it. Need a gift taped? No problem. I would tape it up so good it would be difficult to open.

22. I love to tidy things up. But I hate cleaning. Real, honest cleaning is near impossible for me. I get distracted and things never get fully cleaned.

21. Ever since I was three, the first thing I do in the morning is reach over and put on my glasses.

20. I have dropped an entire entree (salmon I believe) on a table, making the food go everywhere (including the customer's lap) and spilling the wine all over the table. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, sitting in the restaurant stopped their conversations to turn and gawk at me. What can I say? That plate was hot.

19. My first kiss came from a drunk sixty year old man. Didn't see that one coming, did you? Neither. Did. I.

18. My parents always taught me to save the best for last. So I do. The best looking bite on my plate? Last. And then I savor it. Which brings me to number seventeen.

17. People say I'm a slow eater. Not ridiculously slow, but slow. Hey, I can't help it if I like to taste my food before it goes down.

16. Sometimes I can be pretty systematic. For example, unless I'm starved for my Skittles, I have a order of eating them. First the yellow and green. Together. Occasionally I'll throw in an orange. Then red. Then purple, sometimes mixing the two as well.

15. I wanted to be Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking when I was a kid.

14. I am very very lazy. Possibly to a fault.

13. I'm really bad at answering my cell phone. It's usually in the other room, or on silent, or I'm just not in the mood. Let's just say, I don't need my cell phone to feel complete.

12. One time in high school, I wasn't paying attention and totally walked into a trash can. Then nearly fell in.

11. Sit me in front of a movie with Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, or Judy Garland and I'm a happy girl.

10. When I was a kid I had a rock collection. Made up of mostly the gravel from our driveway. Slightly pitiful? Perhaps.

9. I'm picky. I know what I like and I like to choose it.

8. I can't drive a stick shift. So I guess you can't depend on me in an emergency.

7. I have ridiculously cold hands. In both winter and summer. Don't know what that's all about.

6. I wish you could get paid for daydreaming. I'd be filthy rich!

5. I'm really bad at graciously accepting compliments. I usually end up insulting myself. Recently I had a customer tell me how much she enjoyed my service. I responded "thank you, but you probably wouldn't have said that if you were one of my tables an hour ago!"

4. I get REALLY excited over unimportant things.

3. Favorite smells include (but are not limited to)- fresh cut grass, the smell that comes after it rains, gasoline (explains some things, doesn't it?), my grandparent's garage (weird, I know, but it totally brings back childhood memories), any baked goods fresh out of the oven, violets and other flowers, and dirt.

2. I'm really good at window shopping.

1. You know how some people have a year, an age that they're afraid of? This is mine. When I was a kid I laid out a plan for my life, and I had all these things I wanted to accomplish by my twenty third year. So far, I'm nowhere near accomplishing any of them. I know that things will work out in the end, that God's plan is bigger than mine, but man, sometimes waiting around for the real plan sucks.

So there you have it. I've been dreading this year for the past few of my life and it is finally upon me.

Then again, the more I think about it, the more it makes me want to make twenty three the best year yet. It can't be much worse than twenty two. And so far, I can't complain. It's been pretty great!



Hey, wait, can I get another thing?

This post marks my one year blog-versary. I am so very, very grateful for the friends I have made in this little blog world the past year. Thank you for your sweet comments, your wonderful advice, and for sharing your experiences with me. Your words have meant so much to me and I can't believe you all keep coming back to read what I have to say.

P.S. Here's my twenty two things about me from last year!

3 comments:

  1. #6 - I'd be filthy rich, too! If only...

    #5 - I tend to do that, too.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday!!! my birthday is a week from today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Birthday!

    technically i'm half an hour late, but who's counting!
    it's SO funny, one of my best friends from SC's birthday is today as well, i think only good people were born on this day! - {half an hour ago that is}

    i love this list!
    21-i can imagine cute 3 year old Courtney reaching over for her glasses!
    19-oh. holy. goodness. my first kiss, a guy named Guy, we both had braces. uncomfortable. we "went out" for about 2 weeks.
    18 & 17 - i'm so there with you! but i am shamelessly, ridiculously slow.
    15- amazing! i wanted to be a ninja turtle (i even stopped at sewer holes to look for them)... not as cute.
    13-i hate. hate. cell phones.
    3-i love dirt, and trees, libraries, and the woods on cold nights (yes! it has a smell!) and the smell of hardware stores - like home depot, i guess that's lumber... so dead trees. trees in general.

    ReplyDelete